Thursday, February 5, 2015

New Year, New Job?

I started working when I was seventeen years old because I wanted to earn money for my Senior Prom.  Fourteen years later and I can't remember my date's name, but somehow I still have that first job.  Crazy, right?  Don't get me wrong:  I've done better, I've advanced; I even worked my way through a bachelor's degree working at that job over breaks.  I'm grateful that it's paid for my car, my housing, all my food, and more movie tickets than I care to tally, but I'm done with it.

Background:  I got fed up and quit once before.  Five months later, I begged them to take me back because I couldn't find a minimum wage job with the management experience I had acquired, and I couldn't find the sort of job I'd spent four year working toward because the only experience I have to my name is food service.

So now, three years later, I'm looking for a job.  Again.  I don't know where to start, and I don't know what I'm looking for, but I know I can't do this one much longer.  

Reasons to Stay
I like living indoors
Steady employment
I know the job

Reasons to Leave
The pay isn't actually that good
Neither are the hours
No room for advancement
No stimulation

There you go.  I'm going to spend the next several hours trying to figure out what sort of jobs I might meet the qualifications for, and how to spin a ten-year-old English degree and fourteen years of customer service and administrative experience into what recruiters actually want to hear.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment